In 2017, the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources is offering a 12 month graduate program that fast tracks understanding of the department, the Australian Public Service and the difference a public servant can make to the wider community.
Graduates are encouraged to apply for placements in four professional streams: general; Information and Communications Technology; finance and accounting; and within the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences’ (ABARES).
Applications are open to university students who have completed their study or are due to complete by the end of 2016.
Highlights of the programme include:
- a five day industry visit, providing you with a rich on-the-job learning experience, and the opportunity to meet with stakeholders and complete a research project
- workplace rotations, allowing you to experience the diversity of work undertaken by the department
- a Diploma of Project Management
- an opportunity to compete for a four to six week work placement within one of the department’s portfolio agencies or offices outside of Canberra
- a targeted suite of training to become an effective policy or programme officer
- a visit to the Minister’s Office and opportunity to gain exposure to parliamentary proceedings
- an attractive remuneration package, including promotion on successful completion
- the opportunity to be part of an active network of graduates, access to a buddy and Senior Executive level Graduate Champion.
The department may also offer graduate positions in other agencies within the agriculture portfolio, including the Australian Fisheries Management